Since I have been terrible at journaling and letters have turned to emails, perhaps I can refind that journaler in me through this blog. We used blogs when I went with the team to Haiti. That was great. It was reflection and communication in one fail swoop.
So today, what was it? Hmm, sunny. I laid in bed late this morning. That's one thing in particular that I love about the summer time. I seem to wake with the sun, and on saturdays, I still wake up early with no where in particular to go. So I get to enjoy that rare feeling of half awakeness with sun pouring in through my half-closed shades. I then further indugled myself by re-organizing my closet before going to work. I find that closet organization is a hidden quirk of humans. We all do it very differently. We never talk about it, and yet, it has some hidden importance that seems to change the outlook of a day. We have so many of these little things -- traffic, our gardens, the way breakfast smells, the kind of soap we use, our favorite shirts and shoes, that pen that we love the way it writes. It seems like such a shame that such immense pleasures are hidden away for us alone. But I suppose that very fact, the ability to enjoy them irrespective of the rest of the world, is what makes them so great and makes us who we are.
Work was uninteresting. I spent 8 hours editting video for a project that I've been working on for the past few weeks. I like the project well enough, but was one of those things that somehow I ended up on, not really know how. It's ok though, I'm having a good enough time with it.
I hurried out to my parent's house just after work around 8:00. The windows were down in my car and the cooling evening air was blowing my hair. It was boogy nights on the radio and I was jammin to my paragative and poison as I pulled off the highway. After passing through Dexter, I was nearly home racing the sun down Island Lake road. The sunset was beautiful and I realized that was one good reason to live through another day, just to see the unique and beautiful painting that flashes across the sky. I was escaping to the country. Every weekend is a mini vacation where I can smell the fresh air and breathe in the smells that come with life. I was meant to be near land. To work outside. Why I have a master's degree that ties me to a computer I'll never know.
I had at best a 1/2 an hour to pick up work on the projects that I have been doing. Mainly, I have been digging small fish ponds in my mother's garden where my dad can grow his trout and mom can have her goldfish. Two ponds are dug, one's full of water with two semi-neurotic fish inside, but the edging has yet to be completed. The earth is mostly clay, so along the edges we have decided that we will dig out sections to grow different herbs. I have been thinking about how this would look and have wanted to try it for a good week or two. I got halfway around the first pond when mosquitos reminded me why you don't work in the evening in the country. (At least they aren't Haitian mosquitos which seem to bite at every hour of the day including at the heat of a 100 degree noon.)
I turned in to vegetate with mom in front of the TV, bring this ordinary day to closure.
Saturday, June 12, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment