Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Training camp

So, I'm away at CRS training camp. There are about 25 of us fellows who have been placed around the world. Like 7 of us are in West Africa, so I'm not alone in my corner of the world.

Getting here was a mini-adventure. The plane I took left from Detroit to Cleveland. I was a little choked up as I went through security realizing that I'm leaving behind so many people that I love so much. But looking at my ticket, I said to myself "I'm only going to Cleveland." and smiled. Each day, each plane at a time and it doesn't feel so far.

When I reached my gate, I realized that I would be taking a rather small plane. I didn't realize HOW SMALL it would be. It was a 20 seat prop plane. It looked like a mini-cargo plane -- as if the seats were an after thought. I said to myself, "In a few days I'll be riding a jumbo jet over the Atlantic, but for now, I'm on this tiny prop plane on my way to Cleveland."

I arrived in Baltimore to the Brookshire Suites Hotel-- http://www.brookshiresuites.com/photo.asp?ID=125 -- My room was beautiful. Luxurious sheets, internet, nice soap and shampoos and all those little details that make life feel great. This was good because training has been a challenge. Hours and hours of policy and procedure that would make accountants scream uncle. But, what did I expect?

A few more days and I'll be off.

No comments: