Wednesday, September 07, 2005

still no pics

My work computer is still gone... this is Africa, sometimes things take longer than expected (actually, most of the time they do.) I didn't go to Togo, instead, I spent the weekend getting settled into my place. I went and picked out curtains, set up my little gym and cooked my first couple of meals (I love my little gas stove)

I've settled into a little schedule. I get up between 6:30 and 7:30 every morning when the sun comes shining through my window. I take a quick shower and get ready for work. I wear just about the same things that I wore to work in the states. I then go and catch a moto taxi which zooms me off to work. I like riding the motos. Its a free feeling and they don't get stuck in traffic at rush hour. I get to work. I won't start my work in education till later, for now I am working on market studies and food security for rice (ei, does the market provide enough food for people to eat?) I'm learning a lot about how business works in West Africa. I take a lunch around noon or one and then work on till 5 or 6. After work, I head down to a bar where lots of people I know hang out. I sit and chat with everyone. Sometimes I go to other restaurants or places in town. I have to say I have more of a social life here than I ever did in college :) I guess sometimes I do things a little backwards. I get home around 9 or 10 and work out on the deck before I go to bed.

So, life is pretty good. It is so ironic that I thought I would come here to do humanitarian aid and now all the need is back home in the states. I feel a little bad that I am not there to help. But I have been impressed with everyone's comradarie to get involved. Its a very beautiful part of our culture and our country that I am very proud of and tell people here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,
Don't feel bad about not coming home. Its amazing how much the entire country is trying to help,bus and plane owners have driven or flown down to rescue people and thousands have opened their homes to complete strangers.. of course you know all this but it is just amazing..most hometown citizens are taking measures to assure that their own home towns are safe from disaster but an extreem small amount of people have the skill to do what you are doing and what you have done and just to say that we thank you and are proud is an enderstatement

Anonymous said...

Hi

CMU Fatty calling. Sorry I have not written but been busy with football and school. well let us see. My team is 1-2 but the losses were very instructive. i am working on Bolivia in the model UN on the issue of small arms trade and nuclear proliferation in the middle east. so, i have to come up with a lot of positions that Bolivia has on those issues. i hope africa is fun. in other news we had our first weekly bible study yesterday and it was fun. other than that i am doing really good. i am going to try to spend more time getting out these posts.

loving bro,
cn

Naab Family said...

lettuce seeds and U.S. stamps are on their way. We want more blogs....we want more blogss..... everybody say it with me now....we want more blogs....
Yes, Tom we are all celebrating the miracle with you!! If the Lions can win the packers....We can remove the flood waters from New Orleans.