I have been traveling which is why I have not been online.
This past few days I went north to the country of Niger. I went to the capital city of Niamey which is just south of the Sahara desert. I went by bus which left at 3am. We drove north for 10 hours on a decent highway that left us at the Niger river and the border of Niger. We went through customs and immigration and walked across the bridge into Niger (much like the ambassador bridge to canada) Our bus was waiting for us on the other side. We contined 3 or 4 more hours to Niamey.
Niamey is smaller and quieter than Cotonou. It is also MUCH hotter. It was close to 100 degrees. People were also different. There is a greater influence from the middle east and many people dress in African fabric with middle eastern design of clothes. There aren't many motos there, but people told me that with the price of gas, they are starting to import more.
I saw some camels as well. Big tall camels loaded down with stuff. It was like a movie.
Today in an hour or so I will be leaving to go visit villages of Benin. I will have many pictures and stories to tell upon my return.
Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Stay safe and may a camel ride be in your future!! God Bless. Remember to pack the power of the holy spirit with you in all you do. With God's help education in Benin can take on new meaning. All praise to God!
Great to hear from you Sara. We had a small zoo in our home town so I could see a camel and a giraffe plus an odd assortment of other things daily if I drove to work that way. Pity you had to ride 10 hours in the scourching sun when you could have taken a bike there the last time you were here. Never riden one myself but Your aunt Ann and Uncle Tom got to.
I hear some of them spit so bring a squirt gun. Take care
Post a Comment