I've been staying for the past week at a place called Hotel du Port. (photos forthcoming) In such a place one is bound to run into interesting people. Imagine, who would come to a semi-plush hotel in Benin? What do people who come here do?
I met a group of guys that do commodity trading. They are real deal-cutters. With them, is the interesting invester -- a 73 year old jewish retired hairsytlist from New York who talks just like Woody Allen who looks like that comedian... cant think of the name...hmm big eyebrows, glasses, uses his hands, can't think of the name but he looks just like him. He runs around doing magic tricks and telling jokes and generally being witty. (Jay, my goodness, you would love this guy).
I also ran into some guys who were here helping entrepreneurs develop small businesses. I got along well with them
There was a hot-shot ghanian who was putting through a telecom deal and a young Beninois guy who is in the French military here on vacation.
I've gone out into town a few times with people from the hotel. To the beach and downtown. Last night I went out with a group of french people working in various non-profit organizations and one of the guys, I swear, looked just like Bob Seget. Halarious! Bob Seget in Africa.
Everyday is different and strange. There are a lot of things that I am trying to get used to, but its coming along.
I miss everyone.
Monday, August 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
we miss you! let's try another call schedule.
Hi Sara,
Ann, Marie, and Uncle Stanley went to cedar point with the kids.
Planning on staying the night Marie will head home from there. Stan has to
work that morning so that have to hitail it home tommorrow.
Still haven't found a car we like little Lenny is looking for us though.
It's hot here but I bet it is hotter
where you are.
Happy belated birthday.
Love
Grandma and Grandpa
Post a Comment