I am having a tough time dealing with the technology here. I have a great internet connection at the office, but its through a proxy server and firewall, so I can't really use any internet applications nor can I easily upload.
I hit the ground running. I mean really running. The first task I've been given is basically submit a grant for 2/3 of our annual budget and it needs to be done in the next 5 days. :) So, I've been running around trying to figure out what we do, what the requirements are for the grant etc. Luckily I don't have to write the budget. Aparently the way that a lot of these development programs work is that the US grants actual food to either sell or to distribute. So or budget comes from sales of these food goods -- imagine, trying to write a grant in terms of tonnage of wheat. Its interesting, but a lot to soak up in just a few days.
I am not yet in a house. I visited a few and soon they will prepare one for me. I am looking forward to getting settled. Currently, I am staying in a nice hotel. (photos forthcoming) Meals are super expensive there -- $8 for continental breakfast. On the plus size theres a full size pool and a gym where I blow off steam. There's also a little artisan shop and Mr. Wili, the owner, is a young intellectual who loves talking about world history and culture. We talk a couple hours a day while playing Wari or Mancala, a traditional african game. (Check out this site to learn about the game http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Mancala.htm )
Friday, August 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
glad you have a great connection at your office.
We can all stay in touch that way.
Mom
Post a Comment